THE KERALA ADVOCATES’ WELFARE FUND TRUSTEE COMMITTEE
Bar Council Bhavan,
High Court Complex, Kochi- 682 031,
Ph: 0484 2394195, 2393810.
Ref: No:KAWF/ ASSO/Cir-2/ 451 /2021 26th August,2021
The Secretaries of all Bar Associations in the State.
In order to mitigate the economic crisis following the lockdown due to community spread of the pandemic COVID 19 (second wave), which raises serious threat to livelihoods of lawyers in our State, Kerala Advocates’ Welfare Fund Trustee Committee at its meeting held on 17th June, 2021, decided to carry out amendments in Rue 15 of the Rules, in order to raise the upper ceiling limit of loan up to Rs.20,000/- and interest free period for repayment up to 20 months. We are glad to inform you that Government issued G. O. (Rt.) No. 615/2021/Law dated 13th July, 2021 approving the proposal and the amended Rules came into force on publication of the same in Kerala Gazette Extraordinary bearing No.2383 Vol.X, published on 11th August, 2021.
The Kerala Advocates’ Welfare Fund Trustee Committee at its emergent meeting held on 25th August, 2021, authorized the Hony. Secretary to take urgent steps for disbursement of interest free loan amount of Rs.20,000/- (Rupees Twenty Thousand only) to those members whose applications for interest free Loan in terms of the newly incorporated provisions under Rule 15 of the KAWF Rules, are in order.
You may advice the eligible members of your bar who has remitted subscription to the KAWF up to 30.6.2021 to avail this opportunity. The key points for process of the applications are the following:-
- The member of the Fund who is unable to practice due to a lock down declared by the Government pursuant to outbreak of any epidemic disease notified under any law for the time being in force, can file application for interest free loan duly signed in the amended Form No.XII. Applicants have to furnish his/her bank details and an undertaking (see format enclosed) duly signed and stamped, enabling the office to disburse the amount through bank transfer on a first-cum-first basis.
- The member of the Fund applying for interest free loan shall not be a defaulter under sub-section (7) of section 15 of the Act as on the date of submission of the application.
- The maximum amount of loan permissible shall be the amount standing at the credit of the applicant or up to 20,000 (Rupees Twenty thousand only) whichever is lesser;
- The loan amount shall be repaid by the member either in instalments or in lump without interest within a period of twenty months;
- If the loan amount is not repaid within the stipulated period, the outstanding loan shall carry interest at the rate of 12% per annum.
- If any applicant has outstanding loan dues, he/she has to submit separate request(s) in writing for settlement of earlier loan dues and to release remaining amount by adjusting the total outstanding amount (principal as well as interest if any due) to the newly applied loan of Rs.20,000/- in compliance with stipulations in Rule 15 (ii) of the KAWF Rules.
- The last date for submitting applications for interest free Loan in terms of Rule 15 shall be 30th day of September, 2021.
HONY. SECRETARY, KAWFTC & BAR COUNCIL OF KERALA